Sunday, April 21, 2013

Elements and Principles in 3D Form

For this assignment, I had to create four sculptures depicting four different elements or principles, using a limited amount of materials. When I was working on this, I decided to go with a completely experimental method. I was pretty happy with the outcome.

In-progress photos:






Final photos:

The sculpture below, representing rhythm, started off with me twisting masking tape in a pattern. It reminded me of willow trees blowing in the wind. I decided to widdle a "trunk" out of wood and put it all together with straight pins. I was really happy with the final outcome. 




Below are the final photos for texture. I wanted to create a kind of floating cliff, with jagged edges and make it appear to be dripping. I broke many pieces of balsa wood to create natural broken edges, and from there I glued the pieces together to create one solid form. I then cut out more areas, added scraps of wood to the top of the piece, and added glue to the cracks and allowed it to drip down the piece. I then used a straight pin to secure it to the base, but still have a floating appearance.



    


Below is the sculpture for scale. I widdled the corkscrew-like pieces and I liked the scale difference, and decided to secure them to an organically shaped base. I placed scraps of the balsa wood on clear tape, and enclosed it with another piece of clear tape to add almost a background to the piece.



The last sculpture represents variety. I used a few scrap pieces of broken wood and glued them together, and used a saw to create a flat bottom. I then used the jigsaw to create the organic tall shapes coming from the one side and secured them with flat pins. I also started scraping a piece of wood with an x-acto knife which created curled pieces, which I glued to the side. I used more straight pins to add another dimensional element to the piece. Lastly, I carved certain sections out of the wood to mimic the tall pieces of wood sticking out of the piece.




Project sketches:





No comments:

Post a Comment