Saturday, January 19, 2013

Paper Stacking

Response to Diane Ackerman's book A Natural History of The Senses

The sense of touch is something that is definitely underestimated. There are times when we remember how important touch is, like when someone may rub your back to comfort you in a time of need, but most don't realize how important touch actually is. I found it fascinating, yet not too surprising the findings of the studies of premature babies. It is remarkable that touching an infant, and showing them love through touch can increase their rate of development so drastically. As I was reading the article, I couldn't help but relate to what it was saying. Honestly tonight was one of those nights where you just need the comfort of your mother to help you through. As much as it helped to talk to her on the phone and remain connected in some way, I wasn't nearly as comforted as I would have been if she had been here and able to give me a hug. Because of this, I was not shocked while reading that even monkeys who had solely been deprived of touch had struggles developing. I also found it fascinating that infants lower their need for food until the mother returns. While reading this, I couldn't help but think of all of my pet dogs throughout the years. Every single one of them had acted the same, which I found strange until now. Not a single one of them would touch their food or a bone laying around the house until we got home. As soon as one of us walked into the door and petted them as they greeted us, they would turn around and make a mad dash to their food bowls to eat. Touch really is a powerful sense and truly is underestimated in its power.

For this assignment, we had to create two three-dimensional sculptures from paper and wood glue. One was to be an observational piece from either a fruit or vegetable, while the other was to be interpretive.

For my first piece, I decided to make a pear. Here are some in-process photos:



Final photos: 




The pear was a challenge because it was hard to know exactly how many of which size "circle" you had to cut. I ended up sanding the piece, which helped to create the true form a lot. 

For the second, I took my inspiration from the Ford Mustang. Here are some pictures I used for inspiration: 



Below are some in-process photos:



Final photos: 




The inspiration from this piece is based on the curves of the road (the base), the headlights (the yellow ball), and the curves from the front end (blue piece). I made the road matte shades of grey fading into black, while the headlight and front end both shiny. I used a gloss medium to get that effect to try and emulate the beautiful shiny paint jobs on Mustangs. This was definitely a fun sculpture to make, and I was happy with the final product. 

Project sketches: 









No comments:

Post a Comment